Ohio Wildlife Officers Killed in the Line of Duty

Ohio Division of Wildlife 2007 Annual Law Enforcement Report

John C. Wagner, June 7, 1877, to Oct. 1, 1916: His badge read “County Fish and Wildlife Inspector.” He was reportedly assigned to Cuyahoga County as a deputy game warden. The coroner listed his occupation as “game warden” and the cause of death “gun shot wound.” Wagner was shot by a 19-year-old squirrel hunter who was hunting without a license or permission on Oct. 1, 1916, in Bedford in Cuyahoga County. Warden Wagner sustained a gunshot wound to the abdomen as he was trying to seize the shotgun in a struggle with the hunter.

Robert H. Marshall, Oct. 25, 1872, to Jan. 28, 1922: Robert Marshall was the Preble County game warden. Marshall was assisting Marshal Frank Roberts as he was trying to serve an arrest warrant for Ernest Line on Line’s farm. The warrant was for robbery. Eli Benton rented Line’s farm and both men illegally made moonshine on the farm. Both men were hiding from the two officers and ambushed Marshall. It is believed Marshall was following Line’s footprints and Benton was laying in wait for him. Marshall was killed instantly by a shotgun blast from Benton’s shotgun.

Peter D. Andre, Nov. 18, 1899, to Sept. 8, 1952: Peter Andre was the Scioto County game protector. Andre was working with at-large Game Protector Robert Wheeler Sept. 7, 1952, when they received a call reporting a preseason squirrel hunter. The officers found the offender’s car and waited six hours for him to return. Andre confronted the subject, Julius Henderson, and Henderson shot both officers, Andre in the chest and Wheeler in the arm. Peter Andre died the next day. Henderson was acquitted.

Irvin Patrick, 1912 to Nov. 15, 1955: Irvin Patrick was the Fayette County game protector. On Nov. 15, 1955, opening day of hunting season, Patrick was working with District Game Management Supervisor Jack Kamman. The two officers were making an arrest for the taking of a hen pheasant when the landowner, and uncle of the violator, began to interfere with the arrest. The landowner, George Baldridge (former sheriff of Adams County), pointed a shotgun at the officers and told them not to take his nephew because he was a guest of his. There was a brief struggle for the shotgun between Baldridge and Patrick. Baldridge fired the gun striking Game Protector Patrick in the groin. Game Protector Kamman took Officer Patrick immediately to the hospital, but Patrick was dead on arrival. Baldridge was convicted of murder.